The United States of America said that Nigerian students in the US on an F1 or academic J1 visa who want to visit Nigeria during the Christmas or winter break, will be eligible to renew their student visas without any that interview.
The US Mission in Nigeria announced this in a statement made available on Wednesday.
The F-1 student visa refers to a non-immigrant visa that allows international students to enter the US and study at institutions certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). The J-1 exchange visitor visa, on the other hand, is for educational and cultural exchange programs designated by the Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
Conditions to qualify: The US mission says that to qualify for this procedure, students must be physically present in Nigeria, renewing a student visa that is still valid or has expired within the last 24 months.
It noted that the change must continue to participate in the same major course of study or attend the same institution even if in a different course of study.
The news continues after this ad
It pointed out that by scheduling a student visa renewal appointment without an interview, students will be able to drop off their passports at a DHL location in Lagos, on a date and time scheduled using the Consulate’s online booking system.
- “The US Mission in Nigeria is committed to returning your passport to you within two weeks of your appointment date and prioritizing any necessary follow-up interviews. To schedule a student visa renewal appointment without an interview go to www.ustraveldocs.com/ng and follow the instructions,” the US Mission said.
Requirements for the procedure: The mission states that on the day and time of the scheduled appointment, students must visit the designated DHL facility to drop off their application along with the following documents:
- A printout of the submission letter (printed from ustraveldocs.com/ng)
- A DS-160completed in the last six months
- An approved I-20
- A receipt for their I-901 SEVIS fee
- A passport containing an expired student visa (if that passport has expired, a current valid passport must be attached) and;
- A passport photo taken within the last six months is required these requirements.
The mission also said that applicants who do not meet the above criteria should visit and schedule a regular appointment at www.ustraveldocs.com/ng, noted that each applicant must meet the qualifications individually. The mission says:
The news continues after this ad
- “For example, we cannot receive a renewal for a child if only the parent qualifies under the guidelines. In that case, the child should schedule an appointment and go to the Embassy or Consulate for an interview.
- “During the rescheduling process, you will be asked questions confirming eligibility for the student renewal program and will be given instructions on how to submit the application through the document delivery center.”
For the records: Recall that earlier in February 2022, Nairametrics reported that the US Consulate General in Nigeria announced that it will start No-interview US visa renewal services to assist non-immigrant Nigerian visa applicants who are eligible to renew their visas.
The United States Diplomatic Mission, Public Affairs Section, however, noted that the number of qualified applicants who may apply using the new procedures will initially be limited.
The new procedure which states that the no-interview visa renewal will start in February at the US Consulate in Lagos will be extended to the US embassy in Abuja afterwards.