The presidential candidate of the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC), ball ahmed tinubu, met with the leaders of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) ahead of the 2023 presidential election.
The meeting, which was held on Wednesday at the CAN headquarters in Abuja, is the second stage of the CAN’s presidential interaction session.
Tinubu was accompanied to the meeting by his wife, Oluremi Tinubu, Governors Hope Uzodinma (Imo), Abdulahi Ganduje (Kano), Governor Dave Umahi (Ebonyi) and the Speaker of the Federal House of Representatives, the Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila.
Others include former Abia State Governor Orji Uzo Kalu, former Benue State Governor Senator George Akume and some party leaders.
Same Faith Ticket Controversy: The meeting allowed the APC candidate to present his plans and respond to some thorny issues that have plagued his presidential campaign, including the Muslim-Muslim formula. The Christian body and various other interest groups have vehemently opposed the ticket of the same faith.
Tinubu said his decision to run for the presidency is in line with the country’s constitution. He also allayed fears about his ticket to the same faith.
He spoke of his achievements: Tinubu said that as governor of Lagos state, he returned the missionary schools to their rightful owners and did not expel anyone from Lagos. He said:
- “I am seeking to become President of Nigeria not on religious grounds but on the basis of the Constitution. Thanks to the organization for inviting the candidates to talk about their plans for the nation, ”he said.
- “I believe in the need for a secular government and for us to work in the interest of the country just as I did in Lagos State by returning the missionary schools to their rightful owners.
- “I never expelled people from Lagos. My choice of Shettima stems from the urgent need to address the challenges facing the country, as Shettima possesses strong leadership skills that he exhibited when he was Governor of Borno State. I wanted a progressive government, which is why I chose Shettima.
- “It would have been easy to pick a Christian running mate, but it’s not. We have urgent challenges that do not depend on religious inclinations but on the best hands that can address them.
CAN responds to Tinubu: Speaking on the occasion, CAN President Archbishop Daniel Okoh said:
- “As an association of Christian citizens who believe in this country and continue to pray for its unity, peace and prosperity, we have spent time reviewing the problems that hinder peace and progress in the country and hereby make suggestions on the best way to to improve them.
- “We have consulted with Nigerians of various religious, ethnic and social identities on the country’s problems and the solutions have been articulated in the strategic document we call The Charter for the Future of Nigeria.”
… 2023 Presidency: Tinubu Meets CAN Leaders, Addresses Muslim-Muslim Ballot Issue Read more at… Naijaonpoint.