Bogotá (EFE).- The Colombian President, Gustavo Petro, assured this Wednesday that the dialogues between the government of the Venezuelan President, Nicolás Maduro, and the opposition will resume next Friday.
“On November 25 and 26, dialogues between the Maduro government and the Venezuelan opposition will resume,” the Colombian head of state said on Twitter without giving details.
The dialogue, which had been taking place since August 2021 in Mexico, was suspended three months later by an official decision, in protest against the extradition of Colombian businessman Álex Saab – presumed front man of President Maduro – to the United States.
The Colombian president participated in previous talks held a few weeks ago in Paris, during the World Peace Forum, which also included the presidents of Argentina, Alberto Fernández, and France, Emmanuel Macron.
Also present were the Colombian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Álvaro Leyva Durán; Norwegian Foreign Minister Anniken Huitfeldt; the head of the Venezuelan delegation for dialogue, Jorge Rodríguez, and the representative of the opposition, Gerardo Blyde.
After that meeting in Paris, Petro said unlocking Venezuela and a general amnesty for elections that could take place in 2024 would be key to revitalizing the dialogue table.
The current relationship between Colombia and Venezuela
Since Petro became president of Colombia, relations with Venezuela have reversed and the two countries reestablished broken diplomatic relations in February 2019.
Last Monday, the Colombian government and the National Liberation Army (ELN) guerrillas set up a dialogue table in Caracas to resume peace negotiations suspended for four years and four months.
In this new stage of the talks, Cuba and Norway are once again guarantors with Venezuela, which plays a crucial role because of its proximity to Colombia and because members of the guerrillas have taken refuge in its territory for years. years, according to the Colombian authorities. .