The newly sworn-in governor of Osun State, Ademola Adeleke, has ordered the freezing of all government accounts in banks and other financial institutions.
Governor Adeleke has accused the immediate past governor of the state, Gboyega Oyetola, of maliciously taking certain actions after he (Adeleke) won the July 16 governorship election.
Adeleke gave the directive in his first executive order while delivering a speech at his inauguration on Sunday, November 27, 2022.
Some of the actions, which he described as roadblocks to make things difficult for his administration include the urgent mass employment without budgetary provision for salaries, awarding of contracts in haste and delayed by criminal no budgetary provisions, hasty appointment of many Obas without following proper process, etc. .
Governor Adeleke also reversed the name of the state from ‘State of Osun’ to ‘Osun State,’ saying the former is alien to the constitution.
The news continues after this ad
Lambasts immediate past governor: Adeleke, in his speech said, “My dear people of Osun, since you elected me as your governor on July 16, 2022, as announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission on July 17, 2022, the former governor, Alhaji Gboyega Oyetola , maliciously set in. put obstacles in the way to make things difficult and almost impossible for the new administration to serve you.
- “Mass employment is done without budgetary provision for the salaries of new employees; even as the state struggles to pay salaries and deliver other services. Various criminally rushed and delayed contracts were awarded without budgetary provisions. The appointment of a number of Obas has been done hastily without following due process, to mention a few.
- “All efforts to get the governor to set up a transfer committee and submit hand-over notes in line with best practices have proved futile. So I would like to ask for your patience and understanding to give my administration a few weeks to review and sort out all the actions and malicious confusion created by the previous administration since July 17, 2022. Those actions It is a revenge move against the people of Osun State for voting them out of office.”
New orders: The governor, in his new order said, “Therefore, I hereby issue the following directives, backed by the appropriate executive orders:
The news continues after this ad
- “Immediate freezing of all government accounts in banks and other financial institutions;
- “Immediately establish a panel to conduct an inventory and recover all government assets;
- “An immediate establishment of a panel to review all appointments and major decisions of the previous administration taken after July 17, 2022;
- “An immediate change to the constitutionally recognized name of our state, ‘Osun State. All government insignia, letters and signage should reflect Osun State rather than Osun State which is unknown of the Nigerian constitution.
For the record: Senator Ademola Adeleke of the Peoples Democratic Party was sworn in on Sunday in Osogbo as the sixth executive governor of Osun State.
The Chief Judge of Osun State, Justice Adepele Ojo, administered the oath of office to Adeleke at the Osogbo City Stadium.
Earlier, Justice Ojo administered the oath of allegiance to Adeleke’s deputy, Mr. Kola Adewusi.
Adeleke succeeded former Governor Gboyega Oyetola of the All Progressives Congress (APC).