Some prominent members of the aggrieved Northern Christian Leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) have said they will not endorse a presidential candidate in the 2023 general election.
The group distanced itself from the statement attributed to its chairman and former secretary to the government of the federation (SGF), Engr. Babachir David Lawal, who said they endorsed the Labor Party (LP) presidential candidate, Peter Obi, in protest against the Muslim-Muslim ticket of the APC.
This explanation comes hours after Lawal’s statement where he noted that members of his group within the APC voted for Peter Obi because of their opposition to the same ticket of faith and LP’s potential to win the 2023 presidential election.
The views of the other 8 members of the group, led by the former speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, are contained in a statement they signed and issued on Thursday, where they said that after all that because of hard work, they took a position already and agreed on a particular time and occasion to reveal the position.
The group, which also includes a former deputy governor of Kogi State, Simon Achuba, said Babachir Lawal’s position is his personal opinion and does not represent the position of the group.
The news continues after this ad
It is not ordered to announce the decision of the group: The group also told that none of the members of the group, including Engr. Babachir, ordered to speak publicly about their position in this material time.
- A statement from the group read, “We would like to draw the public’s attention to the recent position canvassed by our chairman, Engr BD Lawal as a position in our Group. We would like to state that the necessary consultations have been completed, and based on apparently irreproachable empirical data, the group is ready to adopt a position, which will be made public at an interfaith event that will be held soon.
- “Suffice it to say that no one in the group, including the chairman, has been instructed to speak publicly about our position at this material time. Based on our modus operandi, our position is intended to be presented to the general public in the event mentioned above. That hasn’t changed.
- “Therefore, the decision to endorse a particular candidate and the statement credited to the chairman is the chairman’s decision and views, which he has full rights but not the group. We hope that this statement clears up all the questions that many of us are flooded with about this important topic.”
Other members of the group include Hon. Albert Atiwurcha, Prof Doknan Sheni, Mela A. Nunge, SAN, Gen Ishaya Bauka (rtd), Prof Ibrahim Haruna, and Mrs Leah Olusiyi.
The news continues after this ad
For arrest: Recall that earlier on Thursday, Babachir Lawal, in a signed statement, declared that members of his group and their supporters will support the Obi/Datti presidential ticket for the 2023 election.
- Lawal in the statement claimed that the group arrived at the decision to support the presidential candidate of the Labor Party, Peter Obi and his running mate Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed after meticulous review and analysis of alternative tickets.
- He described the APC’s Muslim-Muslim ticket as satanic and said it was a deliberate and well-calculated plan to sow seeds of religious discord among Nigerians, with Northerners as their intended target.