A review of the 2023 budget allocation bill shows that the Federal Ministry of the Environment has budgeted over N2.5 billion for new projects associated with flood prevention and management.
Nigeria experienced extreme flooding in 34 states earlier this year. The floods have destroyed businesses, farmland and other property.
In total, it is estimated that around 1.4 million people have been affected by the floods and more than 600 people have lost their lives in floods in different states of the federation.
On November 16, World Weather Attribution found that flooding in Nigeria occurred as a result of above-average rainfall during the 2022 rainy season, exacerbated by shorter-lived peaks of heavy rainfall that led to flash floods and river flooding. The flooding was further fueled by the collapse of the Lagdo dam in Cameroon, which is part of a river management system that was designed to be matched by another dam in Nigeria that was not completed.
WWA says the devastating impacts were further compounded by the proximity of human settlements, infrastructure (homes, buildings, bridges) and agricultural land to floodplains, underlying vulnerabilities driven by high poverty rates, and factors socioeconomic (gender, age, income and education). ), and the current political and economic instability.
In the revised bill seen by Naijaonpoint, there are 67 new projects identified by the ministry. It is instructive to note that the budget details also describe ongoing flood-related projects under the Ministry of the Environment.
New flood-targeted projects for 2023 are spread across 21 states. The states include the Federal Capital Territory, Niger, Adamawa, Anambra, Osun, Kogi, Imo, Katsina, Oyo, Plateau, Nasarawa, Gombe, Ebonyi, Ondo, Borno, Abia, Edo, Kaduna, Ekiti, Ogun, and Kogi.
The new projects are highlighted below.
- Gully Erosion Work at Garki II, Abuja – N15,000,000
- Channelization and road improvement for flood control along Nut Peace Mall Road, Sabon Lugbe and AMAC Estate, Abuja – N80,000,000
- Gully Erosion Control Work Lugbe Abuja – N35,000,000
- Drainage construction and road improvement works in Chikakore, Kubwa, FCT, Abuja – N30,000,000.
- Road rehabilitation and drainage works at the Federal Housing site and adjacent streets in Phase II, Lugbe, Abuja – N100,000,000
- Flood and Erosion Control Works at Jikwoyi, FCT, Abuja – N50,000,000
- Construction of drains and culverts to control erosion and flooding problems behind the former army barracks, Suleja – N25,000,000
- Federal Integrated Staff Housing (FISH) flood and erosion control works in Karshi, Bwari, Karu-Jikwoyi road, Mararaba and Karu, Nasarawa State: N40 000 000
- Erosion control in Uke City, Nasarawa State: 30,000,000 N
- Erosion control and road access stabilization works to protect Uke Bridge, Uke Town, Karu Local Government Area, Nasarawa State: 40,000,000 N
- Erosion control and road improvement works in Nyanya, Karu Local Government Area, Nasarawa State – N30,000,000
- Gully Erosion and Flood Control Works in Alubo Community Area, Angwan Jaba, Ado, Karu, Karu Local Government Area, Nasarawa State: N20,000,000
- Erosion control and road improvement works in Sayidna community, Karu local government area, Nasarawa state – N20,000,000
- Obinagu-etiti road/Eke-obinagu and Nkpolo gully erosion control at Enugwu Agidi njikoka LGA, Anambra State – N52,000,000
- Erosion and Road Improvement Works on Dara Christopher Umeh/Umudiji Umuohama Street, Anambra State – N20,000,000
- Flood and erosion control infrastructure in the community of Osumenyi, Anambra State – N20,000,000
- Erosion control works on Ezeude Umodioka road, Anambra State – N20,000,000
- Flood and erosion control works in Amakwa village, Anambra State: N20 000 000
- Erosion control works in Nteje, Oyi, LGA – N20,000,000
- Flood and erosion control works in the community of Opkuno, Awka, Anambra State – N20,000,000
- Erosion/Flood Control Works in Eziaja Anambra State – N30,000,000
- Completion of Erosion Control and Surface Preparation Works on Nawfija/Umueji-Ufuma/Ogbunka Roads, North/South Orumba Local Government Area, Anambra State: 10,000,000
- Erosion control work at Umuabu Adazienu, Anambra State – N15,000,000
- Flood and erosion control works in section 2 Umuabu, Adazienu, Anambra State – N30,000,000
- Erosion control/road improvement works in Ebe/Obiofor/4 corners/Umuakasi Ukpor – N20,000,000
- Flood and erosion control/road improvement works at Onusorogu Enuatta-Ukwu Achara/Obi Ariria Umungwu – N20,000,000
- Flood and Erosion Control Works in Lagos East Senate District, Lagos State – N50,000,000
Akwa Ibom State
- Flood and erosion control works in Asongoma, Uyo. Akwa Ibom State. Uyo Federal Constituency – N50,000,000
- Construction of sewers and drains along the Afor-Ogbe Ahiazu Mbaise LGA road, Imo state – N25,000,000
- Erosion Control and Drainage Works on Amaokwe – Ekeamainyi Road in Amaainyi Ihitte/Uboma Imo State – N40,000,000
- Flood and Erosion Control Project along Umulolo Afor-Ogbe Highway, Ahiazu Mbaise LGA, Imo State – N25,254,115
- Flood and erosion control works on Jimada road, behind GGSS Kawo, Kawo Kaduna North LGA, Kaduna State: N40 000 000
- Side drainage construction and road improvement works at Ungwan Zahu Goni Gora, Chikun LGA, Kaduna – N31,000,000
- Shagari Estate Akure Southern Federal Constituency Flood and Erosion Control Project, Ondo State N25,000,000
- Erosion control works in Akoko North-East/North-West Federal Constituency, Ondo State: 50,000,000 N
- Erosion control works on Arokoje road next to Conoil gas station on Abeokuta/Ibadan road, Odeda LGA, Ogun state – N15,000,000
- Flood and Erosion Control Works at Olofin Street, Iwade Ijebu-Ife, East Ijebu LGA Ogun State – N50,000,000
- Flood control with drainage at Temidire Estate, Osun State – N70,000,000
- Erosion control at Modupeolu Avenue, Olorunsogo Community, Oke Awere, Owode Ede, Osun State – N30,000,000
- Gully Erosion Control Works on Emoriko-Ogugu Highway, Olamaboro State LGA Kogi – N40,000,000
- Erosion control and road improvement works at Adupi-emoriko Layout, Olamaboro LGA, Kogi State – N40,000,000
- Flood and erosion control works at Etahi/Idoji in Okene LGA, Kogi State – N20,000,000
- Erosion control intervention in Madagali LGA, Adamawa State – N30,000,000
- Erosion control at the Federal Ministry of the Environment field office (nursery site), Yola Adamawa State – N20,000,000
- Erosion control intervention in Madagali LGA, Adamawa State – N45,000,000
- Erosion control in North Lantang, Plateau State – N15,000,000
- Doemak Erosion and Flood Control Project, Quanpan LGA, Plateau State – N30,000,000
- Flood and Erosion Control Approach for Sustainable Development in Itasa Community, Iwajowa LGA, Oyo State – N20,000,000
- Erosion control at Yankunu mani LGA, Katsina State – N20,000,000
- Flood and erosion control structures at Tafkin Malga, Rahamawa, Daura, Daura LGA, Katsina State: 30,000,000 N
- Erosion/Flood Control Works at Jere LGA, Borno State – N30,000,000
- Flood and erosion control works at Ajilari cross, Jere LGA, Borno state – N30,000,000
- Erosion control on Oni Itaodo Efon Alaaye Ekiti state avenue – N30,000,000
- Construction of drains and sewers in the city of Bajoga, Gombe State – N25,000,000
- Flood and Erosion Control Works in Water Board Slums, Kaltungo, Gombe State – N20,000,000
- Gully erosion and flood control at Ndiulo Amofia Ngbo, Ohaukwu LGA, Ebonyi State – N20,000,000
- Construction of side drains and improvement of the Ogboroma-Onicha road, Ohaozara LGA, Ebonyi State – N100,000,000
state of edo
- Erosion control and rehabilitation works of the Ukpuke Esan West Ekpoma Edo state road – N30,000,000
- Flood and erosion control works in Ndi Ikpo-Ekeke settlement in Agboha Abia state – N10,000,000
- Road rehabilitation and erosion works in Obiagu-Umuayi, Isiukwuato LGA, Abia State – N80,000,000
- Erosion control/road improvement works at Ogbudo/Tony Umeh avenue and near Umuogazi – N25,000,000
- Federal low cost flood and erosion control works, Board of Internal Revenue Drive, Ningi, Ningi LGA, Bauchi State – N50,000,000
- Federal Low Cost Erosion and Flood Control Works off Senator Abdul Ningi Drive, Ningi, Bauchi Central Senatorial District, Bauchi State – N50,000,000
Total projects from all states – N2,123,254,115
Other new erosion/flooding related projects identified in the ministry’s budget are:
- Phytocontrol and protection of erosion and marginal lands – N65,710,000
- Completion of the national flood and erosion control policy/technical guidelines and action plan -N15,000,000
- Critical emergency projects for erosion control throughout the country: N200 000 000
- Reactivation and installation of flood early warning systems (FEWS) – N30,000,000
Projects (states and others) total: N2,433,964,115
… In a response move, FG outlines N2.5 billion new flood-related projects by 2023 Read more at … Naijaonpoint.