In an interview with L’Equipe this Wednesday, through Maxime Saada, Canal+ has officially acquired the rights to broadcast F1 until 2029. The chairman of the group’s management board said the contract had been widely scrutinized and was on the rise.
This Formula 1 Canal+ will continue to air in France until 2029. The information was confirmed by Maxime Saada, chairman of the group’s management board, in an interview on Wednesday. team“We have signed an exclusive broadcasting agreement for France and Africa (25 countries) until 2029, so we are the world’s leading broadcaster,” said Sada.
Canal+ regained the rights from TF1 in 2013, and the audience has grown year by year since then.The most recent Grand Prix, in Saudi Arabiafollowed by 1.42 million people, accounting for 7.9% of the market share.
The grand prize will still be available in clear text
Liberty Media, which owns F1, had a previous contract with Canal+ for 60 million euros per season. “New big increase, dropped Saada, but no amount was given. But we accept it because Liberty Media has done a great job of getting the title, all the players in the discipline, internationalizing and making it successful in the U.S. as well , new cameras in single-seater, deal with Netflix revolves around drive to survive… »
Maxime Saada also made sure that it was always possible to see the Grand Prix clearly with this new contract. Channel C8 is part of Canal+ and has aired several games in recent years. “Motorsport is now the sport of kings for Canal+”, welcomed Saada, who joined the LFP’s Ligue 1 rights programme with his channel.
“On the canal, only the Champions League is doing better, with an average of 1.6 million viewers and 2.5 million games,” Saada analyzes. In terms of recruitment, when we broadcast the Grand Prix on Sunday, we multiply the sales by 2 or 3 “It’s huge.” Julien Fébreau should have stayed in Canal+ as he approached halfway through Formula 1, continuing to comment on the Grand Prix with Jacques Villeneuve.