Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva confirmed on Saturday 27 August that he will attend Sunday’s October Presidential meeting after several days of uncertainty The first debate of the general election campaign. “See you in the band [le diffuseur Rede Bandeirantes] tomorrow at 9pm » (2am Monday in Paris), Twitter Lula Saturday.
In view of the October 2 presidential election, Brazilian media groups, including the newspapers Rede Bandeirantes and Folha de Sao Paulo, are collaborating to organize the first debate. President Bolsonaro said on Friday that he should attend the debate, but clarified that no final decision had been made.
“I have to be there on Sunday. I decide”Mr Bolsonaro said on Friday. “At one point I thought I shouldn’t go, now I think I should. I’m going to be shot and they’re going to shoot me all the time (…) But I think my strategy will work”, he said in an interview with Jovem Pan radio. On Saturday, August 27, AFP questioned whether Mr Bolsonaro’s services did not specify whether his existence was confirmed.
Lula leads the polls
The two candidates were interviewed separately on TV Globo’s evening news this week, an early highlight of the campaign, which officially kicks off on Aug. 16. Political analysts estimate that Lula is doing much better than Mr Bolsonaro. According to the Datafolha Institute, Lula leads the poll with 47 percent of the vote, compared with 32 percent for Jair Bolsonaro. Other opinion polls show Lula’s smaller lead.
In addition to the two big favourites, debate organisers have invited four other candidates, including PDT former finance minister Ciro Gomes (centre left) and MDB Senator Simone Tebet (centre), who are third and fourth in the polls.
In 2018, the year he won the election, Mr. Bolsonaro only participated in the first two debates. He was stabbed in a meeting a month before the first round and has not resumed debate after undergoing surgery.