Authorities were searching Tuesday for a 42-year-old convicted bomb maker who escaped from a Nevada prison where he was serving a life sentence for a deadly 2007 explosion on the Las Vegas Strip.
Gov. Steve Sisolak ordered an investigation into the incident after his office learned late Tuesday that the fugitive had been missing from the medium-security prison since the beginning of the weekend.
“This is unacceptable,” Sisolak said in a statement.
Officials didn’t realize Porfirio Duarte-Herrera was missing until Tuesday morning during a census at the Southern Desert Correctional Center near Las Vegas. A Department of Corrections statement said search teams were looking for him.
Duarte-Herrera, from Nicaragua, was convicted in 2010 of killing a hot dog vendor with a motion-activated bomb in a coffee cup on top of a car parked at the Luxor Hotel Casino.
His co-defendant, Omar Rueda-Denvers, remained in custody Tuesday, records show. A 47-year-old Guatemalan man is serving a life sentence in another prison in Nevada for murder, attempted murder, explosives and other charges.
A Clark County District Court jury spared both men the death penalty for killing Willebald Dorantes Antonio, who prosecutors identified as the boyfriend of Rueda-Denvers’ ex-girlfriend.
Prosecutors said jealousy was the motive for the attack on the upper deck of the two-story parking building. The explosion initially raised fears of a terrorist attack on the Strip.
Officials described Duarte-Herrera as 5 feet, 4 inches tall and 135 pounds, with brown eyes and brown hair.
Sisolak said his office has ordered corrections officials to “conduct and complete a thorough investigation of this incident as quickly as possible.”
“This kind of security lapse cannot be tolerated and those responsible will be held accountable,” he said.