Trade between Nigeria and India has strengthened over the years, resulting in a good number of Indian companies establishing their presence in Nigeria.
The volume of bilateral trade between Nigeria and India has reached $15 billion for the financial year 2021-2022, which represents an increase of 69.80%.
In October 2007, Dr. Manmohan Singh, former Prime Minister of India, visited nigeria raise the status of the bilateral relationship between the two countries to a “Strategic Association”. During the visit, the Prime Minister affirmed that diplomatic relations have been transformed from “historical friendship” to “strategic partners”.
- Currently, India is Nigeria’s largest trading partner and similarly, Nigeria is India’s largest trading partner in Africa. Many of these Indian companies in Nigeria have also contributed their corporate social responsibility to Nigerian communities.
- Most Nigerian households are familiar with popular brands like Indomie Noodles, Dana air, Dana Plastics, Kia Automobiles, Spar Supermarket and many others, which are interestingly enough, brands owned by Indian companies.
- According to the website of the High Commission of India in Abuja, there are several prominent Indian companies. However, for reasons of time and space, we will focus on only 6 of them, although in no particular order. The companies are highlighted below.
TATA African Services (Nigeria) Ltd.
TATA Africa Services (Nigeria) Limited operates under the Tata Group, which is an Indian multinational conglomerate founded by Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata in 1868 in India. The company has its products and services in more than 150 countries, with operations in 100 countries on six continents.
Tata Africa Services (Nigeria) Limited was established in 2006 and serves as the nodal point for Tata’s business in West Africa, with investments exceeding $10 million. Natarajan Chandrasekaran is President and CEO of Tata Africa Services (Nigeria).
- The company offers products in the segments of passenger cars, light commercial vehicles, medium commercial vehicles, heavy vehicles, material handling equipment (forklifts, stackers, tire handlers, etc.), heavy equipment (excavators, backhoe loaders). , graders and cranes, etc.), tires, construction equipment (concrete mixers, etc.), steel and chemicals.
- The company has a state-of-the-art 3S (sales, service and parts) facility in Lagos and a branch in Port Harcourt.
- The company has designated distributors in Nigeria, which are Simba Motors (Northern Region) and Viramsun Motors (Central Region).
- As part of its corporate social responsibility, Tata Africa Services (Nigeria) continues to support education and technology. The company donated four computer systems and printers to Festac Girls Junior Secondary School in 2021, among other initiatives.
Dana Group is a conglomerate with companies from major industries, founded by Jacky Hathiramani. The company is engaged in plastic, surgical, steel and related products, shipping and property.
His first venture was in the pharmaceutical and manufacturing industry before branching out into bulk importing of industrial chemicals, affordable generic pharmaceuticals, surgical consumables, healthcare services, commodities, automobiles, and aviation.
Its subsidies are Dana Air, Kia Nigeria, Dana Plastics, Dana Pharma, DFM Nigeria and DLC Africa.
During the pandemic, the pharmaceutical division donated essential medicines to the Lagos State government to help fight COVID-19. The company also regularly celebrates Children’s Day with its distributors, among other charitable activities.
Artee Group is a leader in the retail industry having started as a wholesale business in Nigeria in 1998. Haresh Keswani is the CEO of Artee Group, owner of SPAR and Park n Shop, which operates in the hypermarket and supermarket retail space in three cities: Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt. Artee Group began work on the three shopping center projects in Nigeria in 2014, building on the success of Port Harcourt Mall.
Artee Group’s retail network touches the lives of millions of Nigerians. The company makes sure to give back to the community through its Black Friday discounts and giveaways to its customers during the holiday season.
Me Cure Healthcare Limited, founded in 2009, is a diagnostic service provider that identified a gap in medical diagnostics and provided reliable research. Today, it is a household name for imaging, pathology and cardiac care services.
The president of Mecure Healthcare is Samir Udani, and the center employs 400 people. The organization began as a diagnostics company and has since expanded into vision care, dental care, cancer treatment, and preventative healthcare.
- In Nigeria, the company has opened seven healthcare diagnostic centers in the past four years (including three public-private partnership centers signed with Abia and Ondo). A Me Cure Eye Center has also been established to diagnose, treat and perform vision-related surgeries.
- The center is also home to West Africa’s first cancer center and has received numerous awards and has offices in mainland Lagos, the island, Ibadan and Kano.
- Mecure Diagnostics offered customers a 50% discount on diagnoses for 9 lifestyle-related diseases, 53 diagnostic tests, a free dental check-up and free health supplements in 2020. Mecure has continued to offer free and discounted diagnostic services. discount to their customers over the years to promote the health of Nigerians.
Indomie/Dufil Premium Food
Dufil Prima Foods is the company behind the popular Indomie instant noodles. Deepak Singhal is the CEO of Dufil Prima Foods Plc. Dufil Group was incorporated in 2001 as a private limited liability company, restructured and became the group’s holding company in 2008.
The Group consists of the parent company, Dufil Prima Foods Plc, with six subsidiaries including Northern Noodles Limited, Pure Flour Mills Limited and others.
- The Noodle Division began operations in 1996 in Ota, Ogun State, and at the time was the first and largest instant noodle manufacturing facility in Africa.
- In 2008, it was restructured and changed its name to the holding company of the group.
- As part of its CSR initiatives, the company, under its Power Oil brand, participated in a free health camp to provide basic healthcare to Nigerian adults and promote healthy consumption among the population. Visits were made to the Pediatric unit of hospitals and orphanages to deliver gift items to children and donate. The company has also supported science education and has made donations to flood victims, IDP camps and partners of the Nigerian Society for the Blind.
Chi Limited was incorporated in 1980 and became wholly owned by The Coca-Cola Company, following a full acquisition in February 2019. Cornelius Vink is the Chairman while Rahul Savara is the Group CEO.
Chi Limited is in the Fast Moving Consumer Goods sector providing dairy, beverage and snack consumables to the average Nigerian household. The company has provided direct employment to 2,500 people and indirect employment to some 50,000 people throughout its value chain.
The company has several products in its portfolio:
- Fruit juice: Chivita 100%, Chivita Active, Chi Exotic, Happy Hour by Chivita, Chivita Ice Tea, Capri-Sun.
- Dairy products: Hollandia Yogurt, Zero Yogurt, Evaporated Milk, Slim Evaporated Milk, Lactose Free Milk, UHT Milk
- Appetizers: Super Bite Snack Roll, Beefie Snack Roll, Beefie Meat Pie
As part of its initiative to give back to society, management at Hollandia, one of its dairy division brands, recently provided dairy feeding to children in IDP camps and orphanages in Lagos.
The company has also visited Bogije IDP Camp, Ibeju Lekki, Lot Foundation Dustbin Estate in Ajegunle, Life Changers Orphanage in Festac, Chosen Child Orphanage and several others.
… 6 Well-known Indian Companies in Nigeria Read more on … Naijaonpoint.